Dracula by Bram Stoker – a discussion as such
July 19th, 2009
The following excerpt sums up in one of many ways the reason this book is so incredible. I’m reading the e-book from Project Gutenberg and listening to the audio book so page numbers are of little import to me right now. I can tell you it is from Chapter 7:
At times the mist cleared, and the sea for some distance could be seen in the glare of the lightning, which came thick and fast, followed by such peals of thunder that the whole sky overhead seemed trembling under the shock of the footsteps of the storm.
July 12th, 2009
I am pushed as it happens to tell you what I am doing while I listen to Dracula by Bram Stoker as read by Alexander Spencer and Susan Adams.
researching images I can find of the Castle Dracula.
wondering about the Carpathians, and searching on this curiosity. And in so searching I found my way to a lesser novel written by Jules Verne which was published (1891) The Castle in the Carpathians It was published in France before Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1897) was published in Ireland. It was called in his own time, Le Chateau des Carpathes (French) – which, if you read French, you can read for free from Project Gutenberg.
Some of my favorite quotes so far:
- “These companions – . . . – have been good friends to me”
- “We are in Transylvania, and Transylvania is not England. Our ways are not your ways. And they shall be to you many strange things. . .”
- “I myself am of an old family, and to live in a new house would kill me.”
- This made me immediately question. . . Aren’t we all of old families? Just how much of our families old histories do we know? How much of my family do I know about? What do I know about where we come from? who we are? how we’ve ended up (or are starting off) where we are?
Trains of Thought
- Castle Dracula
- Castle of the Carpathians
- Jules Verne
- The castle is a prison, YIKES!
- footsteps of the storm – NICE!!!!
Latest posts by Mr Moshé (see all)
- Hurricane Florence Safe School UPDATE - September 11, 2018
- The Hobbit – Chapters 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 – Finish the book at HOME. - May 3, 2018
- The Hobbit Chapters 1-4 - March 9, 2018