Getting introduced to this topic calls for some background knowledge construction – we are in the building phase. This can take anywhere from 3-4 days.

Daniel Keys offers some thoughts on the story, how it came to be, and where he stands on the issues surrounding it right now on the Daniel Keyes FAQ page.

Brain Background Boot Camp – videos for your brainy pleasure.

What do you hear that you did not know?

What did you hear that you did not know? With what did you agree? Provide support for your opinion. What did you disagree with? Provide support for your opinion.

In Control: Our Brain and Nervous System – A video on Discoveryeducation.com. I hope to be able to embed this video in the future, but this will do for now.

We begin with an I.Q. Test. There are lots of questions surrounding I.Q. Tests in general: What value do they really hold? What are they actually measuring? Do scientists agree on their validity? uses?

1. Here are links to a Learning Styles I.Q. Test. You’ve got 3 options once you get to this site. I’d choose option one first. This is a paid test. 9.95. I don’t endorse it. It was fun to take it though.
    1. Okay, give me the practice test now. – I suggest you do the quick practice, then move into the test;
    2. I have done all that. Let me take the test now. – I suggest you do the practice (above), then take the test;
    3. Tell me about my Complete Personal Intelligence Profile. Don’t spend time on this link yet. It can be very confusing and lead to other links you don’t need to bother with right now. After you take the actual test.
  2. Here is another link at funeducation.com – IQ test – FunEducation. This one is self-scoring. I like it. It’s a lot like the paper one we use in class.

We, then proceeded into Rorschach Tests.  Basically, Rorschach Tests, also known as Inkblot Tests, are used to measure the personality and emotional characteristics of an individual for one reason or another. There are few versions of these online; I offer three I prefer.

1. Take the Inkblot Test Online. Authentic Ink Blot Test Templates  – I prefer this one; it doesn’t lead the viewer with multiple choice answer options.
  2. Harrower-Erickson Multiple Choice Rorschach Test – Personality Tests – This one leads the viewer to possible limited perception choices by offering multiple choice answers that are supposed to correlate with what you “see” in the image. Not a true Rorschach, in my opinion.

Next up, a Common Perception Quiz.

• Westminster offers this Perception Quiz. There aren’t multiple options for this one. This is the one I use.

Then, we looked into the Stroop Effect “named after J. Ridley Stroop who discovered this strange phenomenon in the 1930s” (Neoroscience).The driving question here is what will your brain choose? colors or words?

1. Stroop Effect
  2. Online Stroop Test – The Stroop Effect

Left Brain – Right Brain Test

1. Personality Test Center
  2. Sommer + Sommer Brain Test
  3. psychtests Left Brain/Right Brain Test

And now, the coolest of all – ILLUSIONS. Check this out.

Sources

“Neuroscience For Kids.” – Stroop Effect. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 Mar. 2014.