Anti-Bullying Lesson Plan & Resources
Essentially I oppose all forms of bullying. I have adapted materials for middle school created by the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Teaching Tolerance program. The full plan and how it addresses appropriate middle school standards can be found here – BULLIED: A Student, A School, A Case That Made History.
Why, you ask, do we need to focus on bullying? Empathy – the ability for a person to care about the feelings of others so much so that s/he can know what it feels like to walk in another’s shoes. Compassion – sympathetic concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others. It is essential for us all to want to care about others. This plan will help you gain an understanding of empathy and compassion. So, let’s get to it.
Before we view the film we will . . .
- First, take a Quick Bullying Quiz.
- Let’s look at and discuss the results of the quiz.
- Second, find out the answer to this question: How safe is your school?
- Let’s look at the results to discuss the climate toward bullying at the school.
- Third, analyze the actual situation as you answer some questions about Bullying By the Numbers.
- How close did you look at the numbers? Let’s discuss what we noticed while looking at the statistics.
After preparing ourselves, we will watch the film. As you watch the film, take notes so that you can answer these questions.
Questions about Courage and Empathy
- What did Jamie and his lawyers hope to accomplish by filing a lawsuit?
- What do you think Jamie felt on a typical day?
Questions about The Impact of Bullying: Dealing with Discrimination
- What role did bystanders play in Jamie’s bullying?
- What are some common misconceptions about bullying?
Questions about how this case Made History: Standing Up for Justice
- What is the constitutional basis of Jamie’s case?
- What are Jamie’s key messages when he speaks at the assembly?
- What lessons do you take away from his story?
After the film, answer the follow up questions for the film, BULLIED.
If time allows, we will discuss your answers to the follow up questions.
Latest posts by Mr Moshé (see all)
- Hurricane Florence Safe School UPDATE - September 11, 2018
- The Hobbit – Chapters 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 – Finish the book at HOME. - May 3, 2018
- The Hobbit Chapters 1-4 - March 9, 2018