Please understand that, I believe to the core of my being that every child can learn. I also feel that every child must be allowed to learn. When one individual’s behaviors come between another individual’s right to learn and that learning, I must step in. On this, I place working with parents at the top of my priorities. However, now this is important, I  know that in most cases by the time children reach 13/14 years old they have the emotional and intellectual capacity to be responsible young adults, and they know right from wrong. In other words, children who, at this age, behave with the least interest of others know what they are doing and choose to do so. I expect your child to be considerate of others, and I will hold her or him to this essential principle in order for our society to flourish. You may be able to imagine how I feel they could have developed by High School.

While your children are in my charge, they will become prepared for the challenges of High School and beyond. They will be held to the highest standards of compassion toward one another, toward the learning environment in my classroom, and the school as a whole. With the proliferation of digital means of communication  (e.g. email, this website, Google Voice, Canvas Inbox, and online grade books), I will deal primarily directly with your children, the school counseling department, and administration. Parent contact will be included, and parent support will be integral.

Take a look at my methods for dealing with classroom discipline issues below. What you will notice below is children’s negative disruptive behaviors in my classroom will have far-reaching effects outside my classroom, just as positive behaviors can. Steps in the plan below can and will be skipped, flipped and/or combined where behaviors dictate necessity relative to my discretion.

Refer to the school’s discipline policies and practices.