Email me or submit comments to this page if you have any questions or suggestions. Under development.

BRAVE NEW WORLD

by Aldous Huxley

A Novel Study Project

Tasks to Complete

Preparation Task #1 – Explicating Poetry Preparation – How to Explicate Poetry Group Project

Daily Warm Up Tasks – Explicate songs/poems related to Brave New World

Task #1 – The Science of Modern Propaganda

Introduction (taken from the page linked below): You must supply the healthy thoughts that will occupy the minds of our citizenry.  You must craft the powerful words and dynamic images that effortlessly but effectively persuade and therein ensure obedience.  Your efforts here at the Department of Propaganda are central to the stability and strength of our civilization.  The ideas you fashion and then communicate are the glue which helps hold our social structure together, the grease that keeps the machine humming smoothly and contentedly.

——————–

Task #2 – Individual Extension Activities

Introduction (taken [and modified] from the page linked below): The book is designed to be provocative and to make readers think about where we, as the latest generation of humans, are going with our lives. It should cause a reader to think about what the point of his or her own life is  for the few years that we have alive on this earth. As readers . . . do we see any truths in Huxley’s 1931 predictions? Is there any element of truthful fate in what he was writing about? Search for the answers to these core questions as you read and work to complete the activities.

• Teachers.net Activities
  • These are to be split up in the group.
  •  All activities are required, you decide who does what.
  • Balance everything out as far as workload.
  • Email me or submit comments to this page if you have any questions.

——————–

Task #3 – Group Extension Activities – Off The Map

Overview: Students will examine and compare utopian societies throughout history, including the utopian worlds depicted in the visionary environments discussed in the Off the Map Web site, discussing their origins, their founders, their successes and failures.

Students will develop their own plans for a visionary and utopian society and the functions necessary to run it.

• Off The Map at PBS.org
  • Go to the link above for the entry page and explanation of what to do.
  • Email me or submit comments to this page if you have any questions.

——————–

Task #4 – Novel Study Guide Questions

——————–

Task #5 -This has everything you need besides the items listed above.  This is the big one.

Email me or submit comments to this page if you have any questions or suggestions.

Brave New World – The deal as I know it.