Understanding By Design Session 1
WHY Understanding by Design
Essential Teacher Knowledge Choices – Come having worked with one of the choices below. Break into groups, create a poster of your own groups design to carry the messages in the piece your group has worked with.
- UbD and serendipity: why planning helps rather than hinders creativity
- Choice 2 –
- Choice 3 –
- Choice 4 –
- Choice 5 –
Understanding By Design Session 2
Planning for Understanding
Here are the resources used to drive the training session:
- UbD Introduction to Understanding By Design training – PowerPoint
- Grant Wiggins – Understanding by Design (1 of 2)
- What NOT to Develop as presented by Father Guido Sarducci’s Five Minute University
- Grant Wiggins – Understanding by Design (2 of 2)
Following are resources not used with this training, but I have determined they could be useful for self-directed refinements.
- This PowerPoint ( Understanding By Design Workbook PowerPoint ) requires the use of the Understanding by Design Professional Development Workbook.
- Session 3 Checkpoint – Slide 29
- Session 4 Checkpoint – Slide 50
- Session 5 Checkpoint – Slide 58
- Session 6 Checkpoint – Slide 79
- Session 7 Checkpoint – Slide 110
- Session 8 Checkpoint – Further checks will be completed with other trainers
- Session 9 Checkpoint – Further checks will be completed with other trainers
- The following video is referenced in the Powerpoint above somewhere around slide 89. You want to be able to answer this question: How does Ms. Toliver use enduring understandings and essential questions to unify and guide students’ understanding of mathematics and its significance in our world?
- Additionally, I feel a bit of depth may be required to cover the Six Facets of Understanding, touched on in the workbook Powerpoint around slide 48. Much the way Bloom and Marzano changed my teaching style when I discovered or was exposed to them, the Six Facets are revolutionizing my perspective on HOW and WHY I plan and execute what I do every day. Here is a brief PowerPoint that goes a bit deeper into the Six Facets.
Understanding By Design Phase 4-1, 4-2, 4-3
Changing My Practice
This PowerPoint ( Understanding by Design with the Professional Development Workbook ) requires the use of the Understanding by Design Professional Development Workbook.
Understanding By Design Phase 5
Improving My Practice
Here is the resource used to drive the training session:
- UbD Phase 2 by Mr. Moshé – PowerPoint
Following are attachments used within the PowerPoint and/or during the training.
- Grant Wiggins – Everything you know about curriculum may be wrong. Really.
- YOUR GOAL – Post Teaching Analysis SAMPLE
Self Assessment Tools
- 6 Facets Rubric for Self Assessment (could be used in Peer Review Teams)
- Self Assessment Rubric 1
- Self Assessment Rubric 2
Peer Review Tools
- Grant Wiggins on Learning from Feedback