Discipline, Me, Your Child & You

Please understand that, I believe to the core of my being that every child can learn. I also feel that every child must be allowed to learn. When one individual’s behaviors come between another individual’s right to learn and that learning, I must step in. On this, I place working with parents at the top of my priorities. However, now this is important, I  know that in most cases by the time children reach 13/14 years old they have the emotional and intellectual capacity to be responsible young adults, and they know right from wrong. In other words, children who, at this age, behave with the least interest of others know what they are doing and choose to do so. I expect your child to be considerate of others, and I will hold her or him to this essential principle in order for our society to flourish.

While your children are in my charge, they will become prepared for the challenges of High School and beyond. They will be held to the highest standards of compassion toward one another, toward the learning environment in my classroom, and the school as a whole. With the proliferation of digital means of communication  (e.g. email, this website, edmodo, and online gradebooks), I will deal primarily directly with your children, the guidance department, and administration. Parent contact will be included, and parent support will be integral.

Take a look at my methods for dealing with classroom discipline issues below. What you will notice below is children’s negative disruptive behaviors in my classroom will have far reaching effects outside my classroom, just as positive behaviors can. Steps in the plan below can and will be skipped, flipped and/or combined where behaviors dictate necessity relative to my discretion.

Level 1 – 1st & 2nd time General Disruptions & other Off Task behaviors

• Warnings (& optional Parent Contact) – I do not let issues go undealt with when a child is given a warning for disruptive and/or off task behavior. Upon a second warning, depending on the nature of the behavior, a child will be given anywhere from 1 week to 1 month of Silent Lunch. This is merely a stepping stone for children who will continue to act up and disrupt the learning environment, however for the greater majority, it is a wake up call. After all, who wants to sit silent during lunch when everyone has 20-30 minutes to socialize over a light meal? No one.
  • If the child who has been given 1 month of Silent Lunch does it silently (perfectly) for 1 week, the Silent Lunch is ended. This is kind of like early release for good behavior. As I said, in most cases, this is a wake up call, and I rarely have disruptions after I have given this consequence.

Level 2 – 3rd & 4th time General Disruptions and Other Off Task behaviors

• Guidance Department Involvement (& optional Parent Contact) – If disruptive or off task behaviors persist, your child will be referred to our grade level Guidance Department to discuss research-based methods for your child to employ in order to redirect, focus better and allow others to focus on what they need to focus on. It will be incumbent upon the child to put into regular practice any suggestions given by the grade level School Counselor.

Level 3 – 5th & 6th time General Disruptions and Off Task behaviors – These are frequently classed as defiant behaviors

• Administrative Involvement (& definite Parent Contact) – At this stage, most behaviors are in fact defiant and your child will be referred with an Office Referral to our grade level Administrator for more severe consequences. If the redundant behaviors seem to be manifesting in some underlying cause, then your child may need extra intervention.
  • Your child may be referred to the Intervention Team at this point for evaluation in order to possibly build in some supports and/or accommodations that involve the child’s many stakeholders (parents, teachers, coaches, clergy, etc.). In some cases, Level 4 will come before Level 3.

Level 4 – 7th time disruptions and off task behaviors

• Intervention Team Possible Psychological Testing & Parent Contact through the Guidance Department/Intervention Team – Please contact the school Guidance department to find out about the Intervention Team and what many positive benefits it can offer your child. It will be incumbent upon the child to put into regular practice any suggestions given by the Intervention Team, and there will be regular Intervention Team meetings to track the child at this point. If there is any need for further interventions or supports, the Intervention Team will make that determination.