Poetry Portfolio – Suggested Reading
ARTICLES ON THE POETIC CRAFT
With all the fervor over the opportunity to work on poetry with your classmates, I figured I’d call it a project and write it up. Just know that working on poetry is WORK – hard work. One of the most frequently given pieces of advice I hear – possibly the most important – is, “Never forget the basics.” You will need a strong foundation in the basics in order to write good poetry. The funny thing is that once you know the basics and are ready to begin writing, you may want to throw them out the window and scrap all the rules for writing all together. Here are some articles on the poetic craft:
- The Writing with Writers series is a great introduction to the Poet’s Craft.
- Here’s Karla Kuskin’s presentation.
- Learn about the
- Read this article called Writing Poetry: Approaches to get some great ideas on how to get the juices flowing.
- An amazing resource for young poets is the NewsHour Extra: Poetry page.
- ReadWriteThink offers a Student Interactive feature. Here is a result for all the Student Interactives for POEM…Check it out.
- There is no resource for this bullet, but if you know me at all, you know there will be. . . one. . . or more.
Poetry Workshopping is not for the faint of heart. It takes commitment and a strong will, or desire, to go on when the going gets tough. Here are some articles about taking criticism:
- Taking Criticism with a Smile by Carla Engelbrecht
- How to Accept Criticism with Grace and Appreciation from Zenhabits.net
Before you post some of your own work to this page, and before you post comments or suggestions on someone else’s work, check out the site(s) listed next. These sites will give you a good idea about how to behave when you are dealing with sensitive material, and sensitive people.
Latest posts by Mr Moshé (see all)
- Hurricane Florence Safe School UPDATE - September 11, 2018
- The Hobbit – Chapters 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 – Finish the book at HOME. - May 3, 2018
- The Hobbit Chapters 1-4 - March 9, 2018