The Final Word – A Written Progressive Conversation
What is text? That is one of the most important questions to be able to answer for the rest of your life. For our purposes here, the word text refers in whole or part to a story, article, novel, painting, sculpture, other thing created by an artist or author to be considered for learning. Text is anything you can look at and try to understand.
With that out of the way, let’s get to . . .
Preparation to have . . . The FINAL WORD
In order to move into this activity, a student needs to have worked with a text. Some call this doing a close read, in poetry it can be called explication, while in painting and art it may be referred to as response and criticism.
In working with the text, a student must pick what he/she considers the most crucial, striking, intense and/or important feature from the text. This feature could be a piece of a sentence, a whole sentence, a whole paragraph, but not longer than 2 paragraphs. It could be a detail section of a paining, a specific angle taken on a sculpture, a tone or mood described by a text.
You have to –
- Print Text – Copy it (what you want to speak of) down word for word (Page #s), and write down very clearly why you picked this passage, what it means for you.
- NonPrint Text – Bring the actual piece to class, a photograph of the piece, or if you are focusing on a detail of the artwork, then also bring a close up of the detail you want discussed.
The Final Word – Application
Proceed to the left,
Each person can comment on what the people before said (quotation or comments)
This proceeds until everyone has had something to say because of Student A
A silent written communication tool that gives individuals others’ thoughts to take with them. The FInal Spoken Word is derived from an activity I have doen for a long time called The Final Word, but puts a twist on it.
Latest posts by Mr Moshé (see all)
- Hurricane Florence Safe School UPDATE - September 11, 2018
- The Hobbit – Chapters 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 – Finish the book at HOME. - May 3, 2018
- The Hobbit Chapters 1-4 - March 9, 2018