Parents In The Know
SCROLL DOWN TO THE COMMENT BOX TO SEND ME A MESSAGE.
Below you will find links to resources on the WEB that any parent/guardian should have access to. It is a parent/guardians responsibility to get informed. It sure beats being informed by someone else.
If you think there is a topic that MUST be included on this page, but isn’t, please post a comment requesting such. Thanks for being of service, and allowing me to be too.
Watch this with the child or young adult you are responsible for.
Charlotte, North Carolina
- Charlotte Parent Magazine – Parents Page
Drugs and The Young Adult
- Pre-teen/teen Suicide & Crisis Hotlines –
- Young Adult Rehab – Teen Substance Abuse Article Library
- Drug Addiction Treatment – Millions of Americans in Denial About Their Own Drug Abuse
- Charlotte-Mecklenberg Support and Hotlines
- Narcotics Anonymous – “NA is a nonprofit fellowship or society of men and women for whom drugs had become a major problem. We … meet regularly to help each other stay clean. … We are not interested in what or how much you used … but only in what you want to do about your problem and how we can help.” – taken from the White Booklet . NA is not affiliated with this website.
- NarAnon – “a woldwide fellowship for those affected by someone else’s addiction” . NarAnon is not affiliated with this website.
- Alcoholics Anonymous – ” Alcoholics Anonymous® is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees. . . ” – taken from AA Big Book . AA is not affiliated with this website.
- TheCoolSpot.gov – facts about alcohol
- Basics about searching: in general; with Google.com
- HomeWorkSpot.Com – Find services that range from self-help to “prearranged, regularly scheduled free tutoring online”
- Pupils Ask Teachers Help : This site offers on-line homework help–both live and via message board, all grade levels, all subjects.
- McDougal Littell – The Language of Literature, Grade 8
- Global Access to Educational Sources (GAES)– Global access to educational sources for research and homework help.
- Social Studies
- Mathematics – NONE of the GAES links worked when I tested them.
- DiscoverySchool.com– Discovery Education offers two subscription services for homework help. These services are NOT Endorsed by Southwest Middle School or Charlotte-Mecklenberg Schools.
- MATH – For math help, NutshellMath ($UNknown per School/Teacher signup)will assist students and parents with problems from their textbooks 24/7. Estpine does not subscribe.
- NON-MATH – For other subjects, COSMEO ($9.99/mo. OR $99.00/yr.) offers videos and games that bring concepts from textbooks to life.
- Also, and this is the coolest one, Discovery Education Streaming.
- B.E.E.P. from Broward Schools
Talking and Listening to Young Adults
- Next Stop Adulthood: Tips for Parents – A publication of the American Academy of Pediatrics
- Talk With Your Kids – A national campaign by Children Now and the Kaiser Family Foundation.
- Scholastic for Parents –
- Great Links for Parents : (sponsored by Glencoe) –
- Getting Involved in Your Child’s Education –
- Tips on Parenting from Boys Town
- Parenting of Adolescents from About.com
- Charlotte Child and Family Resource Guide –
- Teaching Kids to Choose Friends Wisely from the U.S. Department of Human Health and Services
- Handbook on Parent’s Rights from North Carolina Public Schools
- Parent Teacher Association Website
- PTO Today Website
Teachers Rights and Responsibilities
- Teacher’s Rights detailed at eNotes.com
- Reach Every Child
- No Child Left Behind