Parents

Parents In The Know

SCROLL DOWN TO THE COMMENT BOX TO SEND ME A MESSAGE.

Below you will find links to resources on the WEB that any parent/guardian should have access to. It is a parent/guardians responsibility to get informed. It sure beats being informed by someone else.

If you think there is a topic that MUST be included on this page, but isn’t, please post a comment requesting such. Thanks for being of service, and allowing me to be too.

Watch this with the child or young adult you are responsible for.

Charlotte, North Carolina

Drugs and The Young Adult

HW Help

Talking and Listening to Young Adults

Parenting

Teachers Rights and Responsibilities

Custom Search
The following two tabs change content below.

5 thoughts on “Parents

• October 26, 2008 at 10:47 AM
    Permalink

Mr. Moshe,

Aaron and I went to Classzone.com to pull the stories and questions that he needs to complete. We were unable to access stories or end of chapter questions. We could see the various stories from various units, but couldn’t click on/access the actual book/stories.

Should we be able to access the book via this site (Yes), or are we doing something wrong?
    —-Yes. Have Aaron see me tomorrow to explain to him how to get to the pages he needs.

Aaron has at-home books for each class. Should he have one for your class as well?
    —-Yes, but there is a shortage of textbooks. I can check one out to him for a time so he can get the work done. How’s that sound?

Is there one he can bring home to get these assignments complete?
    —-Yes.

Reply
  • April 26, 2009 at 7:29 PM
    Permalink

Hello Mr. Moshe,

I ran across your website on accident. I am an eighth grade teacher in Texas, and love many of your assignments. Would you mind if I used your Anne Frank webquest? Please just let me know either way.

Thank you in advance for your time,
    Chansi Shope

Reply
    • September 21, 2009 at 8:09 PM
      Permalink

Certainly. Although I am not the author. At this point I do not know who is the author either.

Reply
  • July 7, 2009 at 10:24 PM
    Permalink

Hello Mr. Moshe, hope you are having a great summer. Im posting here because I have trouble getting to the students thingy. Man! do I wana see you mister. Havent met nobodi like you yet.. changin school to taravelle. bydaway its me gerardo, remember? glasses, back row, spanish, the perfectionist.? you should hit me up with an email sometimes. Best wishes.

Reply
  • April 11, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    Permalink

As I think about why learning happens and what can be done to improve how my students achieve, the first thought that comes to mind is how can I motivate them more than I am. I consider how to make them active participants. I tell them often that they must not be spectators in the stories of their lives. I ask them to take part, I tell them to be a part of their lives. I find myself thinking that they are watching the world happen around them. Why?
    Their own expectations of themselves are lower than the previous generations’. Lower standrads imposed by states and districts are bringing the children to lower desired achievements. Parensts think their kids are doing beetter, but they aren’t, they are doing well according to the standards set by districts which are lowered and lowered as time goes by.
    Learning happens when the kids realize it is cool, it’s something they can “own”, it’s what they want. Why not want to know more than you did last year?
    Learning happens when I take the time to tailor how I present to them what has to be done by them. It happens when they get to decide what they will learn to achieve the objective no matter what it is; no matter why we have to learn it.
    It happens when I surprise them with a new way of doing things – whether its a new way for me to do it, or a new way for them to accomplish atheir goal.
    It happens when they know where they stand – even though the grades are not all that they seem. But they don’t know that. Nor do their parents. Parents need to be more involved in gov’t, elections, school board meetings.

THis is one of my favorite resources. If it is one of mine, and you want to know more about me, then check it out.

http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/intranet/committees/FacDevCom/guidebk/teachtip/teachtip.htm

I can’t go on anymore about this.
    Here are some useful links to things educators need to know and parents as well.

http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/intranet/committees/FacDevCom/guidebk/teachtip/gardiner.htm

http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/intranet/committees/FacDevCom/guidebk/teachtip/motiv8rules.htm

http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/intranet/committees/FacDevCom/guidebk/teachtip/unmotiva.htm

http://sabes.org/resources/publications/adventures/vol12/12hassett.htm

What it comes down to is that I have to be ever-enthusiastic about their needs, their ability (even potential ability), and their growth. To care. To feel a part of what is going on with him/her even when s/he they refuses to let me into that corner of his/her soul, core, self. To invest myself in thier lives even when there may be no gratitude, or sign of recognition for waht is being given.

All this and then I think of the idea that I am not teaching a test prep class, but I AM. THat is the mandate. That is the problem. I quote Hassett, “If you teach a GED class, you spend time explaining the format of the test and helping students to improve their test-taking skills.” I am not supposed to be doing this.

I have to create the buy in, and then I am evaluated on it.

Reply