Check it . . . . . .

Concerning Personal NOVELS : Students are to have a novel in their possession at all times. As far as reading logs go, you can either get one from me or you can GOOGLE “Independent Reading Log” to find one. You just need to be able to log how much you are reading each day, each time you read in class, at home, wherever. There are hundreds of different reading logs available on the net. You can use any one you like. Parent Signature is required periodically,a nd periodically checked for a grade.

Concerning projects: I am allotting some time for “catch up” next week. You can use class time to finish things you have not finished at home, and you can get together with others to work on and finish projects.

Concerning Literature TEXT assignments: Each of the stories below were introduced, begun, and were supposed to have been finished at home. A responsible student would be completely unrealistic to think s/he would be able to complete everything related to this workload in class. Your time at home is crucial to getting this work done. Any mention that you are only working on the projects in class is only a maneuver to get out of doing homework. Please do not fool yourself, because in the long run it is your grade that will suffer and then you’ll suffer as a result. Think about your future (just the short term future for now).

We have read each of the following stories and done related work in the textbook. In addition to the work in the textbook there have been a couple of follow up assignments I asked you to take care of over the past few weeks. The list of stories below includes titles from up to four weeks ago. All of the stories are part of the 1st Quarter Unit of Study.

The Dinner Party –

* Before we read – We discussed BIAS, STEREOTYPES to get introduced.
* While we read – Students were to track/note examples of BIAS and/or STEREOTYPES in a graphic organizer.
* After we read – Students were asked to complete answers to Questions 1-6, to complete the Vocabulary and Spelling Activity, and to complete the Grammar in Context Activity.

The Lady or The Tiger

* Before we read – We discussed DRAWING CONCLUSIONS, INFERENCES, CLIFF HANGERS
* While we read – Students were to track and note the conclusions they were drawing as the story was uncovered.
* After we read – Students were asked to answer Questions 2,3,4,6 and to write their own ending to the story.
* After we read – one of my classes was priviledged to watch an animated (however dated) production of the story.

The Monkey’s Paw

* Before we read – We discussed MOOD, TONE, SUSPENSE
* While we read – Students were asked to track examples of where the author set the MOOD, TONE, and built SUSPENSE
* After we read -Students were asked to create a PLOT DIAGRAM for the story
* Students were asked (in-class and could have been finished at home) to take notes on how to write a Compare/Contrast Essay. I did a good bit of instruction on the two methods for organizing this type of essay.
* After we read – two of my classes were priviledged to watch a live action (however dated) production of the story.

The Third Wish

* WHEN WE WERE DONE WITH THESE TWO STORIES (The Monkey’s Paw & The Third Wish) students were asked to write a short (4 paragraph) comparison contrast essay looking at how the Mood and SUSPENSE were dealt with differently in the two pieces.

The Tell-tale Heart

* Students were asked to create a  PLOT DIAGRAM for this story.
* After we read -Students were asked to create a PLOT DIAGRAM for the story.
* After we read – two of my classes were privileged to watch an animated production of the story.

Birthday Ritual A Grave Tradition

* Before we read – We discussed FEATURES OF A NEWSPAPER ARTICLE, JOURNALIST’S FORMULA, ETC.
* While we read – Students were asked to just read the article
* After we read – Students were asked to complete Questions 1-6, and to write an article of their own.

The Hitchhiker

* Before we read – We discussed SUSPENSE
* While we read – Students were asked to track SUSPENSE
* After we read -Students were asked to complete answers to Questions 1-7, and to complete the Vocabulary and Spelling Activity, and the Grammar in Context Activity.
* After we read – one of my classes was privileged to watch the classic Twilight Zone episode based on the radio play.

I hope this helps you figure out what you need to get done. Get out your Reader’s Notebook, and see what you have.

I wish you all the best.

Enjoy, Reflect.